Ask a Urologist   »  

Smoker, taking advil, urinary tract infection. Related to kidney?

Urine that smells like burnt BBQ coals
For over a year my urine has smelled like burnt BBQ coals. The smell is very strong and even after I flush the toilet the smell remains in the bathroom for several minutes. Plus the color of my urine is a deep/dark yellow, like a XXXXXXX mustard gold. My urine also seems very heavy in body, like Chardonnay wine or even heavier than that. I'm guessing I have a Advil (ibuprofen) and cigarettes, could it be related to my kidneys? However, I do not abuse alcohol, not now or ever in my life. I have also used tampons my entire life (30+ years), I have never been pregnant, I haven't had sex in over a year, I have never had an STD, and I know from other self-examines my problem has nothing to do with my vagina, I.e.- vaginitis/etc.

I don't have health insurance yet I know something is terribly wrong with me. Considering I am unable to see a doctor to be examined or get a prescription, is there anyway I can self-medicate to rid myself of whatever is wrong with me?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 days later

I am not really worried about the smell of the urine. However, I am certainly worried about the colour of the urine and also the fact that you have been consuming ibuprofen and cigarettes for long. I would definitely encourage you to cut down on both.

I am not really expecting you to have any infections considering your history. However, I shall like you to be investigated with microscopic urine examination, renal function, liver function test and ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Considering the fact that you don't have insurance, I will suggest that you increase your water intake to 3 litres per day and have lemon water twice daily for 1 week and see if thing improve with it. If you don't improve then you shall have to be surely investigated further with all the tests as mentioned above.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.