Smoker and was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis, given cough suppressant. Suggest?

Sir, Iam an exsmoker and when I have gone to see the doctor he has given me cough suppressant although he told me about my condition as chronic bronchitis?

Shall I use the same or should I go for exptorent.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 39 minutes later
Your diagnosed chronic bronchitis condition and the previous history of smoking are well corroborated.

Good that you have stopped smoking now as the risk of many conditions including your present will reduce gradually.

Cough suppressants and expectorant syrup medications are given to soothe and aid in actual treatment. They will not help to treat chronic bronchitis which needs tests and other medications on prescription.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about a thorough check of your lungs with radiological tests etc.

And as the symptoms of cough recur every year in this condition you would need regular follow ups.

Let me know if you have further queries.