Smoker. Trying to reduce smoking. Started feeling weak, sleepy and heaviness in lungs. Concerned

Hi I am 30 years old I smoke 55 cigarette per day I decided to reduce it so I reduce it to 16 cigarette per day I felt some changes in my body feeling weak , sleepy and sometimes a heavy lungs ? Is this side effects of reducing smoking or may be a health condition ?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. I would like to complement you on your efforts to reduce your number of cigarettes smoken per day. It is possible to experience nicotine withdrawal in the process manifested by weakness and restlessness. I would suggest an alternative strategy of shifting to nicotine chewing gums and slowly tapering off the same. This helps to avoid these withdrawal effects. However, to be on the safer side i would suggest you contact a physician and undertake a chest x-ray if needed to rule out bronchitis and other lung pathology. Do clarify further if required. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Substance use specialist
Follow-up: Smoker. Trying to reduce smoking. Started feeling weak, sleepy and heaviness in lungs. Concerned 11 minutes later
So the heavy chest or uncomfortable chest is not related to reducing smoking ?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 13 minutes later
Some degree of chest discomfort is possible on smoking cessation/withdrawal. However, the way you describe it seems a significant problem. Hence, it would be advisable to do a chest x-ray and take a physician opinion. It is a measure to be on the safer side. Hope you are clear now.
Dr Sundar