Smoker. Having pain and discomfort in chest and shoulder, noticed blood in mucus. Any ideas?

Question
I do not feel sick ( no fever & have an appetite) but have pain in my left shoulder & pain/discomfort in the left side of my chest when breathing in. Also coughing up a little bit of blood in the mucus. I am a smoker & the pain keeps getting a little worse...any ideas of what this could be & should i go to ER now or is it safe to wait & go to my doctor in the morning?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

You should go to the ER now and you should not wait till morning.

Pain in the left side shoulder along with pain and pain on left side of the chest could be because of Ischemic heart disease. This condition should be ruled through proper physical examination and investigations including a ECG. So I request you to report to the ER at the earliest possible.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Smoker. Having pain and discomfort in chest and shoulder, noticed blood in mucus. Any ideas? 12 minutes later
This condition i am experiencing only started this morning (4/9/13 around 9:00 am),could this condition expand so rapidly it could be life threatening just overnight? I would much rather go see my regular doctor first thing in the morning before going to the ER.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 14 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

If a person has pain in the left shoulder and pain on the left side of the chest (more so if the pain is associated with breathlessness or sweating or reeling sensation) then he should report to the ER and should not wait.

If the physical examination and investigations like ECG done are normal then you can report to your regular doctor in the morning.

Hope this helps.