Smoker. Having cough and phlegm at night. Diabetic. Can any on line doctor help me?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi Sir,

My Father aged 60 Years is a cigarette smoker since more than 30 years.
Since one year he is finding difficult to sleep at night due to cough and phlegm .
He experiences this problem only at night when he sleeps.
He fights for one or two hours than he gets into sleep, this is what is happening.
He is more prone to cough and spitting the waste in black colour.

He is taking cough tablets and also tonic but the problem is not address fully.

He is sugar patient and under insulin treatment since 2 and half years.

Please advise.

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 35 minutes later
Your father seems to be having chronic bronchitis which is common in chronic smokers. The symptom can acutely exacerbate due to respiratory infections. I wish if you could go for a chest x-ray and consult a respiratory physician. Many a times this may be a sign of malignancy too.
He may be advised sputum examination (to rule out TB and other infection), a simple breathing test called spirometry and if needed, CT scan of chest for coming to a proper diagnosis.
In the meantime you can try a course of antibiotics and inhaled bronchodilator.....

Best wishes

Follow-up: Smoker. Having cough and phlegm at night. Diabetic. Can any on line doctor help me? 11 minutes later

Thank you Doctor for the feedback,

We are going to MV Hospital for Diabetes, Chennai(Most Preferred hospital for diabetes) for sugar checkup in the month of August and also we will make the relevant bronchitis checkup also.

But before that Can you please advise some medicines namely antibiotics and tonic for one month before we proceed for complete checkup in the month of August.

For your information and doing needful please.

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 6 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
I will advise a sputum examination readily available at any pathologist center of your place for TB bacilli.
You may try antibiotics like azithromycin 500 mg once daily along with tablet ambroxol 75mg twice daily. You may also try rotacaps like budamate 400 with rotahaler twice daily......Hopefully he will get relief...

Best wishes

Follow-up: Smoker. Having cough and phlegm at night. Diabetic. Can any on line doctor help me? 16 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Please find the correction
cough and spitting the phlegm not in black colour but in normal colour only.

It was again reconfirmed from my father.
So in this case can we follow the same medication as was prescribed .,

antibiotics like azithromycin 500 mg once daily along with tablet ambroxol 75mg twice daily

Please confirm.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 10 minutes later
yes same medication will follow.

Thanks