Smoker. Have severe sleep apnea, tightness in chest, restless arms and legs. Any relief?

My 51 year old brother has significant trouble sleeping at night. Very twitchy, tightness in chest...describes it as muscles in chest contracting, almost making him curl forward. Restless arms and legs...kicking. He says it feels like "something is running through his veins XXXXXXX He is a smoker. Told is has severe sleep apnea.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your query,

This issue can be resolved by doing two investigations 1. Video- polysomnography and if needed 2. Video-EEG test.

The first test is done in sleep lab and the patient has to sleep in the lab. Electrodes will be attached in the head, chin, leg etc and they will map the brain functions, respiration etc. This test will detect the sleep apnea and if he has any other sleep-related problem. Once the diagnosis is established, the treatment becomes easy. 2. Video-EEG test is done in EEG lab: A test which records the brain function and records everything which happens to the patient.
These two tests and if needed MRI scan will help us to decide about the diagnosis. Treatment will depend the cause.

hope this helps
let me know if I can help you any way

best wishes