Smoker. Have calcaneus fracture in leg. Does smoking cause any effect on fracture?

Nov 2013

I am having calcaneus fracture in my right leg for the last 20 days.I am a smoker.I want to know how much is my smoking going to affect the fracture.Also,though I don't smoke marijuana or hash regularly and quitting them completely,I have smoked em many times in d last 20 days after my heel got fractured which i regret now.I want to know what effects it might have caused on my fracture.Is marijuana or hash more harmful than cigarettes in fractures?
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Smoking is harmful for bones. It makes the bones osteoporotic (low mineral density), which increases the chances of fracture.

In addition, people who smoke, have a higher risk of fracture. This risk is more in current smokers, as compared to past smokers. Also, men smokers are more prone to fractures than women smokers.

Smoking also reduces the chances of healing of fractures. Smokers have a higher risk of non-union (of fractured bones) and infection of the bone.

Smoking marijuana or hash also decreases the chances of good fracture healing. It is good to note that you have stopped it now.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Smoker. Have calcaneus fracture in leg. Does smoking cause any effect on fracture? 19 hours later
Is hash or marijuana effects on fractures much more harmful than those of cigarettes or the same? Is it nicotine and THC that affect or just the smoke ? And what's the difference between the effects of nicotine and THC if any?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

The adverse effects of smoking and marijuana on bones and fracture healing are probably similar. However, no direct comparative studies are avalable to answer this question effectively.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)