Smoker. Found blood in the back of throat. Should I be concerned?

I recently discovered blood in the back of my throat while taking a shower, and I have no other symptoms of any kind. This has never happened to me before, and I am quite worried. I am a social smoker, in the process of quitting. Is this something I should worry about?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 14 minutes later

At your age, though cancer is not common, you need to be evaluated for blood in sputum. Common cause of this is inflammation in the throat, airway region or sometimes it can be related to lung issues.

Ideal next step would be to see doctor for this. After clinical evaluation, the doctor will try to find out cause and site of bleeding. It may not always possible to do so if bleeding is scanty. Few investigations which doctor might suggest are chest x-ray, routine blood investigations and if needed CT scan of chest.

So please consider seeing your doctor for primary clinical evaluation.

Follow-up: Smoker. Found blood in the back of throat. Should I be concerned? 19 hours later
Thank you for your response, I was curious if there are any other symptoms I should be wary of?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 31 minutes later
You are welcome.

Few symptoms which you can look out for are recurrence of bleeding, fever, weight loss, any swollen glands in neck region, chest discomfort, etc.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other enquiries.