Smoker. Feeling dizzy, have fever and sneezing problem. What cure should be done?

ENT Specialist
i been sneezing for more then 3 weeks
the allergies only getting worse by the time
I have tried: Mucinex D, Nature Fusion, Claritin, equate NiteTime. and like 5 nasal spray for the nose in the last 3 weeks.

every morning in the last 2 weeks I wake up with a completely closed nose, can not breath from the nose in the mornings until I spray again...
today my throat start to get hurts. and the nasal/flem became yellow, not clear like most of the times.

my overall feeling is bed. tired. dizzy, sometimes i do get fever.

I'm smoking cigarettes about a pack for two days.
I work for a AC company so every day in espouse to dust, mold and chemicals.

PLEASE tell me what to do. I can't any more!
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described are the features of Allergic rhinosinusitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge, nasal congestion, itching in the ears and the nose.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner. Cover your nose and mouth when you are working with air conditioners and avoid smoking.

The yellowish phlegm, sore throat and fever are the signs of active infection which requires a potent oral antibiotic.

My advice to you is:
1. To use steroid (such as Momentasone/ Fluticasone) nasal spray once a day, this reduces nasal allergy and itching in the eyes.
2. To use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, this will help in opening of the sinuses and easy clearance of the sinus secretions.
3. To use a mucolytic such as Bromhexine and Ambroxol, this helps in thinning of the tenacious secretions.
4. Try taking an antibiotic either with a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid or Cefuroxime, the former and the latter are the drugs of choice for this condition.
5. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine /cetrizine/loratidine taken will reduce the allergic problems.
6. Drink plenty of warm water and to avoid chilled food or beverages and coffee.
7. Avoid smoking
8. Cover your nose and mouth with a clean cloth (or wear a mask) when exposure to dust or smoke is imminent.
9. Consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Smoker. Feeling dizzy, have fever and sneezing problem. What cure should be done? 27 minutes later
Hello Doctor
thanks you for your answer
before I got the get it can you please be more specific about the brand names of the medication because i don't know a way to get antibiotic without prescription

what is the best for me to get from the groceries store I really feel bed
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

I am sorry, according to the online medical consultation rules I am not supposed to endorse or mention any brand names. You can all types of food, except for those which will cause allergy to you such as eggs, fish, milk, few nuts, etc.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon