Smoker. Diagnosed with COPD. Taking medicine. Getting breathing difficulty when playing tennis. Prognosis?

Cardiac Surgeon
Question
Greetings Dr.
I am 61/male, diagnosed with COPD 2 years back. Smoking 20 cigs/day for 40 odd years but always played extensive
Tennis which i continue even today. Taking everyday since 2 years Seroflo 250 (1-0-1) single puffs + Duolin (5-6) single puffs a day + Montek LC 1 tab in nite. More or less this gives me enough relief, however, for the last 3-4 months i am experiencing lots of breathlessness while playing Tennis deswpite taking 1-2 puffs of Duolin during play. I had my Oxygen level checked in ER which said 97-98 using finger.
Smoking i have reduced but not been able to eradicate completely. I also consume 2-3 pegs of whiskey everyday.
Please suggest if my medication is adequate? or if any changes are required in dosage or medicines. Is playing Tennis harmful for my condition? or any other valuable suggestion? If i feel more suffocated can i take Predmat 8mg (1-0-1) for4 few days and taper it down?
Thanks and regards
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Nisarga 1 hour later
Greetings!
I would like to tell you that any amount of medication you take, will not help you unless you COMPLETELY STOP your smoking habit.
It is good that you have reduced it, still smoking is XXXXXXX in a case of COPD. Smoking increases the demand for more medication. It aggravates your breathing difficulty.
Playing tennis is not at all harmful. Any physical activity can be done if your health condition allows you to do.
I suggest you to increase your Seroflo to twice a day.
Try to avoid steroid(predmat) unless it is very necessary.
Please stop smoking which will definitely help you and you will feel the change in your health condition.
I wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Smoker. Diagnosed with COPD. Taking medicine. Getting breathing difficulty when playing tennis. Prognosis? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. Nisarga,
I am already on Seroflo 250 twice daily 1 puff.
Using Duolin 5-6 times a day.
Taking Montek LC 1 tab in nite.
Pls let me know if using all these medicines harmful in long run. Are there any better alternate medicines available?
Will taking Theophylline tablets make any difference?

Answered by Dr. Nisarga 35 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Please continue the same medication. If there is an acute attack you may have to receive some steroids as tablets or injections.
There is no harm at all in long term usage. They are all safe medications.
Theophylline will help in case of acute broncho-constriction. But it has got its own side effects like tremors and palpitation.
Regards.

Follow-up: Smoker. Diagnosed with COPD. Taking medicine. Getting breathing difficulty when playing tennis. Prognosis? 4 minutes later
Sorry to bother u again.
I am having acute attack due to pest control done in my house.
Shall i continue using Seroflo+Duolin to control it or use Predmat, if i should, then pls specify dosage.

Answered by Dr. Nisarga 5 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
If it is an acute attack, if the symptoms are really bothering you, you can take Tab Predmet for a short period and taper it off.
You can start with 8 mg twice a day for 3 days, then 4 mg twice a day for 3 more days, then 4 mg once a day for three days and stop it. You will get the relief.
Wish you good health.