Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Smoked menthol cigarettes and ingested 250mg of vyvanse. What are the risks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2189 Questions
XXXXXXX Ingested 250mg of vyvanse, because XXXXXXX has a problem. (that if XXXXXXX makes it through this, will be visiting the local rehab, and XXXXXXX will make sure of that) Smoked some menthol cigarettes to calm down. XXXXXXX doesnt know what all is in this particular k2, XXXXXXX just knows they are extremely strong substances, but here is the wiki link for "Synthetic Weed" if you scroll down you will see the ingredients. WWW.WWWW.WW

18, 230lbs 6'1"
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your writing in.

I would be happy to help you and clarify your doubts. Can you please explain in detail what your query or doubt is regarding these substances? Are you facing any problems after ingesting these drugs?

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Smoked menthol cigarettes and ingested 250mg of vyvanse. What are the risks? 7 minutes later
well that is my question i guess lol, im not to swell at clarifying :3, but to clarify! im wondering, what should i be expecting from the 250mg of vyvanse with combination of k2? will i be ok? i took it at 1 A.M. and it is now 7 A.M. i know vyvanse has to metabolize through the liver first, so later on today, will i be hit full force? or Will when ever i do go to sleep, and then awaken, it will hit me? or did i just get away lucky after ingesting 250mg of Vyvanse. ide just like to know what ive got coming to me, so i can prepare my day for the hit, and the agonizing come down this will have if it does affect me.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the clarification.

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) is actually a pro-drug - i.e. it doesn't have any effects on its own but gets converted into 'dextroamphetamine', which produces all the effects. After oral ingestion of Vyvanse, this conversion takes place in about 1 hour in the gastro-intestinal system, after which the dextroamphetamine starts getting absorbed into the bloodstream.

Now, the maximum blood level of dextroamphetamine is reached in about 3 - 4 hours. This maximum blood level co-relates with the peak effects of the drug which you would experience.

Subsequently, the drug gradually gets metabolized in the liver and is then predominantly excreted in the urine. Now, the 'half-life' of dextroamphetamine is about 10 -12 hours. What this simply means is that it takes 10 -12 hours for the drug to get reduced to half its original dose.

So, in your case, how does all this translate? It's been 6 hours since your ingestion of Vyvanse. So, the maximum blood level or the peak concentration of dextroamphetamine (after conversion) must be after about 4 - 5 hours of ingestion. This would be technically be the most XXXXXXX period. Now, from this period on, the blood level of the drug is going to be gradually decreasing and it may take another 10 - 12 hours for a major proportion of the drug to get metabolized and excreted. So, in your case, you may have just tided away the peak effects, but significant risk still remains for the next 10 - 12 hours.

The maximum therapeutic dose of Vyvanse is 70 mg per day and 250 mg is potential enough to produce XXXXXXX effects. The symptoms of overdose are restlessness, shakiness (tremors), fast breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, fever, muscle pain, irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia), high blood pressure (hypertension) or low blood pressure (hypotension), nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes even seizures and coma.

Now, the effects of the combination of k2 with vyvanse is unpredictable. There is no scientific evidence available to predict the effects of this combination. Moreover, the purity and concentration of chemicals in k2 is also extremely variable.

I would advise you to see a doctor, just to be on the safe side, because of the variable and unpredictable nature of the toxic effects of these drugs. Also keep drinking plenty of fluids to enable faster excretion of the drugs. It is safer to stay along with someone so that they can keep a watch over you. In case you develop any significant symptoms, please do not hesitate to seek immediate help.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor