Smoked marijuana and having rapid heart beat. Getting anxious. Should I be worried?

Three days ago I smoked marijuana out of a bowl with someone and after my last hit I suddenly went into a complete panic, I just did not feel right, I felt very disconnected and my heart was beating fast. The rest of the night I still felt completely out of it and disconnected from everything. Things just did not seem normal or right. That night I couldn't sleep I woke up every hour and the next day I still felt out of it but it got better from time to time. That night I also had trouble sleeping but the next day was much better I only felt disconnected at some points. I went to bed extremely early early and woke up a few times in the middle of the night. One of the times I had had a dream that I had smoked and my heart was racing I could feel it really throbbing. Now this morning I am just extremely worried that something is wrong with me, that I ruined myself forever. I also am generally a very anxious person and I over think many things, but this just seems different.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Initial marijuana abuse symptoms, later anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Well, first of all, I should let you know that your initial symptoms were the usual/normal response to marijuana abuse. But, these gradually started wearing off as the marijuana exited your system. And this should be the case. I am assuming that the latter symptoms were just your anxiety kicking in ma'am. In my opinion, you should be fine, and need not worry about the same. Just give it some time, and I am sure you will get back to your normal symptom-free life in no time. All you need to avoid from now on, is marijuana and other substances that can cause similar effects, and you will be more than normal, for as long as you wish. I hope you found my response both helpful and satisfying ma'am. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications or information. I am always available and more than happy to help. For now, just keep yourself well hydrated, which will help reduce your symptoms and excrete all the residual marijuana from your system. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Smoked marijuana and having rapid heart beat. Getting anxious. Should I be worried? 9 minutes later
I just wanted to make sure it was known that I have only smoked a few times, so is it normal that this would happen under those circumstances?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes ma'am it is normal and will subside soon Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. I understand, and yes, it is normal. You need not worry, you will and should be fine in not time ma'am, for sure. Best wishes.