Smoked marijuana and had alcohol. Started feeling nausea with numbness and fainting. Any advice?

Hi there,
The last two times I smoked marijuana, I also had a drink with dinner immediately following. After dinner, both times, I fainted. (I started to get a little nauseated, feel unwell, my limbs became numb and unable to hold me, my hearing became blurry, and I passed out).
This had never happened to me before these last two times.
Please advise.. Thank you!
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 48 minutes later
Thanks for your query. To clarify both marijuana/cannabis as well as alcohol act as depressants of the central nervous system. In addition they also produce altered perception of time and fluctuation in blood pressure. Hence, the symptoms you report are possible when both these drugs of abuse are added. It is possible that previously you did not manifest these symptoms but now you are manifesting these symptoms. It may be either due to an increase in dosage (advertent/inadvertant) or you have developed the phenomenon of sensitisation to drugs. I would suggest either reducing drug dosage or abstinence for a while.
Dr Sundar
Addiction Medicine Specialist
Follow-up: Smoked marijuana and had alcohol. Started feeling nausea with numbness and fainting. Any advice? 10 hours later
Hi there,
Thank you for your answer. What I am really wondering i, is there something possibly wrong with my blood sugar levels, or anything else I should get my bloodwork tested for? I am not a heavy user of either drug, they are both pretty infrequent in my life. But since I never had this reaction before, I am wondering what caused it, besides both these drugs being depressants to the central nervous system.
Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 11 hours later
At this stage I wiuld still not suspect anything apart from drug use as the cause. However to be on the safer side ekg and three day consecutive blood pressure recordings might be useful to rule out cardiac causes. As I mentioned development of sensitisation to drugs can manifest this way.