Smoked lot of cigarettes. Noticed sore throat, flat blister in roof of mouth. Is this normal?

Critical Care Specialist
I was in Las Vegas for 6 days and smoked a lot of cigarettes. Now I have a very sore throat with flat blister looking spots in the back part of the roof of my mouth. I do have some coughing, but mostly sore throat like symptoms. Is this normal? What is the best treatment other than not smoking, which I don't do a lot of at home.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 23 minutes later
Thanks for your question.
While smoking does irritate the throat and causes a long lasting, dry cough, its unlikely that its responsible for your sore throat now.
The sore throat that you have could be either due to an infection or an allergy. Here's what you can do:
a. Take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once a day fr 1 week
b. Warm saline gargles 3-4 times a day
c. Steam inhalation twice a day
d. Tulsi and ginger tea should provide relief.

If you have greenish looking sputum or difficulty breathing or chest pain or this does not get better in 3-4 days, please see a physician. We would need to start you on a course of antibiotics.
Let me know if you have any more questions