Smelly urine, done liver and kidney tests, urine test. Why is SGOT and SGPT high? Why is there a bad odor in urine?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I just went through regular Liver and Kidney tests, enclosed is the report. The SGOT & SGPT is 52.70 & 57.80 respectively. My doctor says, it is normal but I am worried that why it is on the higher side.

Just to give few details about myself:
1. Age - 31
2. Height - 5 Feet - 8 Inches
3. Weight - 84
4. Smoking - NO
5. Drinking - Use to drink whiskey (200ml) 4-5 times a week, however for last 40 days, I am off drinking.
6. Not experiencing any pains in abdomen
7. However, sometimes there is stink in my urine, which is also one of the reason why I went for test.

I also went for Urine Routine Examination, the report of the same was fine.

Please advice on:
1. High SGOT & SGPT
2. How to reduce the above and bring them to acceptable level
3. Why there is a bad odor in my urine and what is the diagnosis and treatment of the same.

Thanks a lot

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

I can understand your anxiety

After going through your reports I really find them normal

Yes the SGPT & SGOT are on higher side of normal but they have to be correlated clinically

If there are no symptoms or signs related to liver disease the reports are normal

But yet for your understanding I would like to inform you that :
1] High fatty meals, junk food
2] Alcohol
3] Some medicines are known to cause altered liver function

Best at your end will be to avoid fatty meals and stop consuming alcohol

As far as odor in urine is concerned that is also normal as a good number of medicines and consumables are excreted in urine after metabolism and they may give bad odor to the same

Unless you have any burning or frequency do not worry

A final word of reassurance
Get Well Soon