Smelly mucus from nose. Taken three bouts of antibiotics. Help?

Feb 2013

My Grandson has had this aweful smelly drainage coming from his nose . He has gone through three bouts of anti biotics and still has had it for about 5 months now.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He needs examination by ENT specialist.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising you on the persistent smelly discharge from your grandson's nose, I would like to know the details about him.

Is the smelly discharge from one nostril or both nostrils?

Is the discharge associated with blood or pus like material?

Awful, smelly drainage from nose of this long duration (about 5 months) is suggestive of the presence of some tissue growth inside the nose or presence of some foreign body inside the nose.

Another possibility is the presence of a chronic problem such as sinusitis.

Therefore I advise you to consult an ENT specialist for direct examination of his nasal cavity and throat to look for the presence of any foreign object or any tissue growth.

Investigations like X XXXXXXX or CT Scan of nose and paranasal sinuses can be done with the advise of ENT specialist to rule out these problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.