Smelly genital areas, use antifunal powders. Had terbinafine course, undergone circumcision. Advice?

Dec 2012

iam 29 year old and i smell bad,for unknown reasons to me since 10-12 years. the smell comes from the genital area.i wash it regularly with soap, body wash and keep it dry, use antifunal powders , but it appears again,sometimes immediately after washing. its offensive.tried two 15 day courses of terbinafine.stops temporarily,probably a placebo effect. have undergone circumcision 6 yrs back but no change.please advise.its creating social barriers.and problems in my married life.please help.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query,

I am pleased to be able to help you answer your health problem,

Male genital odor could become a great nuisance and cause a lot of discomfort and might even go to the extend of causing feelings of frustration. First you need to make sure that the genital odor actually exist and it is not your brain playing tricks with you. By doing so, you will need to see a doctor or health care practitioner who can actually examine you and determine if the odor actually exist. Your spouse too needs to confirm this (and I suppose she already did). Ones the confirmation is there, then some simple steps to get rid of body odor can be done.
To get rid of male genital odor, you will need:

Mild antibacterial soap
Cotton underwear
Loose pajamas
Jock itch powder
Baby powder

Take care of your personal hygiene. Shower at least once a day. Think about showering twice a day if you exercise a lot or are a particularly sweaty person. When you shower, always wash your genital area with a mild antibacterial soap. When you are done showering, thoroughly dry your genital area with a towel. Too much moisture can cause bad odor and bacterial growth.
Wearing comfortable clothing. Consider switching to different underwear. Try wearing light cotton underwear, especially while exercising. Spandex and synthetic underwear tend to restrict airflow in your genital area. Switch to loose pajama bottoms in order to allow airflow while you are sleeping. Males tend to sweat while they sleep, constricting pajamas might be what is causing your bad genital odor.
Apply jock itch powder to your underwear if you have a physically intense job, or before exercising. Jock itch powder can help reduce bad odors during physical activity. Both baby powder and cornstarch can also help soak up some of the moisture in your genital area.
Trim the pubic hair around your genital area. Once a month, trim the hair around your shaft, scrotum, and anus. This will help to prevent excessive sweating.
Stop using antifungal powers they will only destroy natural body flora and predispose to abnormal body fungal flora, hence some weird body odor.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Dr. Nsah