Smelly fluid from the rectum due to injury. Is it serious?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my partnr said he fell over and a pipe went up his rectum and he had been beeding for 4 days and now he said the fluid is clear but really smelly. Is this serious? And what are the chances of that actually happening though ?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 24 minutes later
The anus is a closed orifice guarded by the pelvic floor muscles and the rectum is above the for a pipe to enter through anus and reach the rectum just with a fall seems highly unlikely, or a least possible condition.
You need to discuss with your partner about the details as, if it really has occurred and he bled for four days and then has foul smelling discharge it points to an infection which needs to be treated.
He has to visit a doctor , who can perform a proctoscopy and if needed barium enema xrays to rule out any mucosal tears or injury resulting in wound infection.
If such a wound remains untreated it can lead to complications like bowel necrosis, spread of infection and sepsis.
So kindly consult your general surgeon promptly if such an event has infact occurred.
However I would also advice you confirm the facts before such consulation.
If by any chance your partner has multiple sexual partners, he is at a risk of sexually transmitted infections and needs to consult a venereal disease specialist in that case.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.