Smelling sweet smell with nausea and burning trachea. Had reflux and inflammed esophagus. What could be wrong?

I have been smelling a sweet smell that is not actually there for a week. It is accompanied by nausea at times. This morning, as I woke up, there was a light burning type of sensation in my trachea. I am a 56 year old woman with a history of reflux. I also have a narrowing of the esophagus that has shown some inflammation in the past. The smell is constant and I know this can be a symptom of many things. What are the conditions --ranging in order--that these symptoms point to?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: List provided as requested ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in. I shall surely help you by listing all the possible conditions in the order of their likelihood, they are: -Sinusitis -Diabetes -GERD (which is the reflux disease that you have a history of) -Hypothyroidism -Weight loss -Polyps -Dental abscess, fractures or surgeries -Deviated nasal septum -Foreign body -Fungal infection -Epilepsy -Parasites -Tumor This list has the most likely causes on top, out of which you already have 2 in your history. The sweet smell could simply be because of the conditions that you already have, or another one from the list given above. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes ma'am.