Smell of alcohol comes out from a drunker's breath. Reason?

Sir how and why smell of Alcohol comes out from a drunker's breath? How long does it stays?

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
The alcohol gets metabolized and is excreted through the air that is breathed out. This causes the smell of the breath alcoholic.
The time for which the smell in breath remains depends on the amount and concentration of alcohol consumed. Body metabolism, condition of liver, empty stomach etc are the other metabolic factors which can affect the duration of its excretion.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. RakhiTayal.
Follow-up: Smell of alcohol comes out from a drunker's breath. Reason? 4 hours later
Thank you Doctor for answering my question. But if you kindly detail your answer as regards the smell i.e. wheather it can last for more than 12 hours? And whether only for smell it can be said that someone is drunk ?
Doctor I am again disturbing you. Please let me know what is the quantum of Alcohol one must posses in his or her blood/body to be said that he/she is drunk?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The smell in the breath can last for more than 12 hours if the person is heavily drunk.
A breath analyzer test is needed to say that a person is drunk. Usually it takes 4-5 standard drinks for a person to become drunk.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.