Smashed toe and lost nail. Nail grew ugly and gray. What can be done to make it normal again?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I smashed my toe 3 years ago and lost the nail, it grew back but is ugly and gray in color and not normal. What can be done to make it normal again? I am talking about the toenail because otherwise my toe is fine.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
The ugly and grey colored toe nail which has grown is suggestive of a nail bed damage during the time of injury. Such a damaged nail bed is difficult to repair and has poor results.
Since there is no pain or disability, no treatment is needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.