Smashed index finger. Swelling has gone but tingling at the tip. is this normal?

General Surgeon
I smashed my index finger in a bicycle accident over six weeks ago. I didn't see a doctor because I could move my finger. Now the finger can move fully extend and curl with no pain. The swelling has gone down except for a small spot on the pad of the tip where there is a small sensitive lump. Most of the feeling has returned except for a little tingling on a small area of the very tip. Sometimes this finger is cold when my other fingers are warm. Is this normal or is something more serious going on? Should it be totally healed by now?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Six weeks is long enough for bones, muscles and joints to get healed. As you have no moving deficiencies, this parts have healed property.
What heal much longer are nerve fibers which could get smashed and destroyed during this injury. This can cause tingling in some areas. Small nerves fibers of the finger tip will get regenerated however it can take few months. So this will go away, just needs more time.

Small sensitive lump which is still swollen is most likely some foreign body (a peace of glass or soil for example). This is causing an inflammation in this area and will keep it as long as it wont be removed.

If you do not feel like going to the doctor, you may try to puncture this lump with a needle and see if anything is there. However more advisable is to visit a surgeon and have it verified.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Smashed index finger. Swelling has gone but tingling at the tip. is this normal? 2 hours later
Thanks for the quick response. The skin was never broken so i don't think it would be glass or dirt. Could it be scar tissue or possibly a broken bone? I play guitar and I can press the string down just fine, but if I bend a string which causes considerably more pressure it will hurt.
Let me know what you think.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later
Yes, it can be a scar tissue as well. However scar tissue does not give swelling. It should be rather hard, little bit more red than the other skin parts.

Small part of bone can also cause this little lump. It will be seen on the X-ray.

If you do play guitar a lot, this lump can be caused by constant pressing on this one spot. Injury does not have to be the reason.

I can give more accurate answer having a picture of it.

Such lump, if it impedes guitar playing, can be removed (as you need completely healthy finger for guitar playing). Please consult general surgeon.

Hope this will help.