Smaller vagina at 60 years of age, painful sex. How can I expand it?

Question
I am 60 years old and my vaginal opening is smaller how can I expand the vagina it is so painful in hurts to bad to have sex. I have bought the expanders to put it in my vagina but the i can insert the one size but the next size is to big and it hurts what can I do for this. It is affecting my marriage.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. Start some vaginal estrogen (available from your doctor in cream or tablet form)
2. Stop the vaginal dilators for a period of time (lets say 2-3 months)
3. Once you have completed a 2-3 month course of vaginal estrogen, the resume the dilators.
4. Use plenty of lubrication when using the dilators (Astroglide)
5. Be patient, do NOT hurry to the next size
6. Schedule a visit with your OB/GYN at the initiation of therapy with estrogen and schedule a followup visit once per month to assess response to therapy
7. Tell your husband to be patient!
8. Continue the estrogen therapy while using the dilators, by the way.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! - DR XXXXXXX