Small, whitish rough patches on the roof of mouth, no pain. Habit of smoking. Could it be related?

I have several small whitish rough patches on the roof of my mouth, toward the front. They are circular, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. I noticed them recently, they do not hurt but I can feel them with my tongue.

I have have been smoking roughly 5 cigarettes a day for 8 months--could it be related? Or could it be an STD?

It has been several days since I noticed them, and I have since stopped smoking. Picture attached.

Thank you very much for any help you can give!
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 4 hours later

Thanks for asking.

Small whitish rough spots in the mouth raises two or three possibilities.

Fungal infection
Cancerous growths.

As you are smoking, the possibility of leukoplakia is most likely.

Leukoplakia is a condition where areas of keratosis appear as adherent white patches on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity. Leukoplakia may affect other gastrointestinal tract mucosal sites, or mucosal surfaces of the urinary tract.

Alcohol,tobacco, trauma, and microorganism are the more likely reasons for this .

It is a premalignant condition that is can cause cancer if left untreated .

Tissue biopsy is usually needed to reach the diagnosis and to rule out malignant transformation.

Treatment involves the removal of predisposing factors, and ranging from wait and watch to surgical removal depending upon cases to case.

I think you need to see your doctor to reach the diagnosis.

If you need further information, please let me know.