Small white patch on the palato pharyngeal arch and sore throat. What do you suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a small white patch on the palato pharyngeal arch. It started with a sore throat, headache generally unwell for about a week Sore throat has gone but the white area is irritated by citrus fruits I am 45. Thanks
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. It is difficult to comment without an image of the white patch on the palatopharyngeal arch, but this seems most likely to be a part of the infection process. 2. Hence it is advisable to get an direct examination done. 3. Possible causes for the white patch are a patch of lymphoid tissue, thick mucopus, an ulceration or raw area (hence the citrus irritation), a tonsillolith, a foreign body, damaged / necrotic tissue or a fungal infection and so on. 4. A throat swab should be sent for culture and sensitivity. Routine blood tests and blood sugar estimation may be done. 5. Since you do not have any other symptoms, I would not expect any cause for worry. Regular medication and a medicated mouthwash should settle it. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Small white patch on the palato pharyngeal arch and sore throat. What do you suggest? 24 minutes later
Thanks for your response I forgot to mention that the area was also red but as you say is all part pf the infection Is this likely to be a viral infection and I get anxious about these sort of things and if you type in white/ red patches into a search engine it always gives an indication of mouth cancer how would you tell the difference? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Red color or congestion is more in favor of an infection. 2. This should settle with regular treatment. 3. Cancerous lesions are rare, persistent and do not regress with treatment. 4. Regular follow-up is the key to early detection of cancer. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Regards.