Ask a Urologist   »  

Small ulcers or sores under foreskin of penis, itchiness, blood test for herpes, syphilis negative. Causes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I've had a small ulcer looking sore on the bottom side of my foreskin of my penis for about a year it does not go away. Not sore but itches from time to time. Have had blood test for herpes and syfilous both came back negative
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Hi

Is the ulcer painless or painful?
Has the size of the ulcer changed since one year?
Is there any discharge from the ulcer?
Any recent loss of weight?
Any other sites of ulcers like inside the mouth?

According to your history of painless sore on the foreskin, it usually goes in favour of infections like Syphilis, sometimes Herpes infection as well; but other local conditions like balanoposthitis or foreskin balanitis due to infection, autoimmune disorders like Behcet's disease, fixed drug eruption where penile ulcer can occur due to taking certain medication could be the cause.

It would be ideal to get tested by swabbing the base of the ulcer which can be subjected to microscopic analysis as well to find possible cause. Also get tested for HIV if you are sexually active.

You will need to get a complete workup for the above mentioned disease at least to find the cause for this problem. Also get your blood pressure monitored regularly and GERD monitored for any unusual changes so that early lesions can be treated faster.

Regarding the medication, kindly do list the medicines you are taking for heart problem as well. You need to stop smoking and drinking alcohol to avoid progression of GERD and high blood pressure. Avoid eating spicy, fatty, oily, fried, junk food food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day.

Consult your Doctor, get a workup for the various causes of penile ulcer as mentioned above and the treatment can be done according to the cause. Also remember to use condom to reduce spread of STDs and HIV.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Small ulcers or sores under foreskin of penis, itchiness, blood test for herpes, syphilis negative. Causes ? 55 minutes later
No ulcers anywhere else it's painless just itches sometimes . The size hasn't changed n no weight loss . I noticed it after I started dating my girlfriend.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later

Thanks again,

A chronic long duration ulcer like lesion is probably due to a chronic infection like foreskin balanitis. I suggest you to get the necessary tests to confirm absence of Syphilis first.

Avoid touching, or probing at the lesion. Over the counter antihistamine medications and local calmine lotion application might help in preventing itching. Along with this, antibiotic ointments might also benefit you.

I encourage you to consult a dermatologist to rule out the possible conditions which can cause foreskin ulcer and get required treatment after thorough clinical examination and required testing.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.