Small sore on inner thigh, itchy and red scrotum. Not cured after treatment. Any effective treatment?

For the last week, I have had itching and redness on my scrotum, left side. I also had a small sore on my inner thigh, roughly 1/4 inch, which looked like a blister. I punctured it, flushed with hydrogen peroxide, and used neosporin antibacterial ointment on the sore, which began to heal. I did not associate the sore with the itch and redness of the scrotum. I thought it was jock itch, and have made a point of washing carefully and using baby powder to keep the affected area dry. This morning, there is a itchy rash on my inner thigh where the scrotum makes contact, which is also around the area of the sore I treated. Is this jock itch, and what is a good treatment? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for a good history.

It looks to be a fungal infection, tinea cruris, that is what you correctly said jockey's itch. You need to apply antifungal cream to treat this. Apply a combination of oint clotrimazole and clobetasol daily in night for a week, followed by plain clotrimazole daily twice for a month. Check if they are available over the counter in your region. Else you may need a doctor's prescription.

You will get good response in few days, but you must complete the treatment, else it will reappear.

An antihistamine like Cetrizine would be helpful in controlling the itch. Please do not use hydrogen peroxide. It may irritate the scrotal skin.

Hope I answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further doubts.

Thank you.