Small soft spongy lump at the base of neck. Anything to worry ?

I have just noticed a small soft spongy lump at the base of my neck about one and a half wide.very soft I hardly can detect it but it is there and just below that on my chest bone it is very slightly raised also
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later

Since you are a 70 year old healthy female with no medical issues I think the lump is not to be worried about.

Small soft lump at the base of the neck can be a lymph node as neck has the largest number of superficial lymph nodes that can cause panic to the person. Most of the times they do not mean anything. The other reasons are dermal cyst, thyroid nodule, cold abscess etc.

I suggest a close watch on its size only. Report it to doctor if it increases uneven and start showing any symptom like fever, weight loss, loss of appetite, throat pain etc.