Small red spots on the side of feet, spreading, growing darker. Is this venous stasis or petechiae?

Hi I have small red spots on the side of my feet and starting up my ankles, they are now turning darker. They started around the time I started blood pressure med's and I also have difficulty standing for any length ot time, it seem to bring out more spots,( I was standing 5-6hr a couple days a week) no longer do that. Now I find I'm unable to stand or walk without a lot of discomfort in my feel. I do wear insert in my shoe for support.How can I tell if this is venous stasis, petechiae or granuloma annuleara?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later

As you said you are having red spots on ankle region and they later turn dark. You also seem to be over weight as per your history.

There might be some venous incompetency in your case. Patechae like lesion may occur on venous stasis.

Doppler study of lower limb vascular system will rule out venous incompetency, in case it turns to be normal, it may be a low grade capillaritis- called Schamburg's disease/Pigmented purpuric dermatitis.

In view of that you need a proper examination by Dermatologist/surgeon, only after that further management can be decided.

You can try keeping your foot end raised while during rest, this may help you for the time being.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have any further concerns.

With regards.
Dr Rohit Batra