Ask a Urologist   »  

Small red dots in urine and in urethra at the tip of penis. Uncomfortable to touch and backache. Suggest the cure?

Infertility Specialist
in my urine in last two days there has been small dots about a millimeter in size an red/orange in colour . this is in urethra at tip of penis. it follows a days worth of back ache. there is no pain on urination slightly uncormfortable to touch. could this be assosiated with my back pain symptom?
or could it be sexual in nature.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Renal stones

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. It seems to be due to slight bleeding in urinary tract. There are 2 possibilities for it : 1) Renal stones if present anywhere along urinary tract. This leads to back pain as well as bleeding which might be the common cause. Please get ultrasound scan of abdomen to rule out the same. 2) Second possibility could be due to minor trauma to penis while sex or mastrubation which might have caused bleeding. You can wait for few days during which it heals spontaneously. Let me know if you have any more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Small red dots in urine and in urethra at the tip of penis. Uncomfortable to touch and backache. Suggest the cure? 8 minutes later
Thank you. I have as it happens enjoyed a hectic few days of sex . this was un succesful due to the diabetes and the betablockers stopping penis from being firm. this lead to some twisting and continous folding of penis, it was sore afterwards. the back pains started 12 hrs after this. I had wondered if the herbal supplements I took with L-argine component had anything to do with it? Also a diet change was followed which has been suggested to combat slightly high HBA1C of 64 .
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for the query. With the extra information about more sexual activity than usual and intermittent erections and folding of penis, it is likely that the little dots represent hematuria (blood) from small trauma of the urethra; it shoudl heal itself within a few days. The back pain may also be related to out of the ordinary sex activity.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN