Small red dot, urgent care gave clindimycin. Swollen legs, soaked in warm water. Still hard lump exists. Any ideas ?

Hi. I had what looked like a small red doting the side outside of my calf- in a day or 2 it was a large bright red, hot area. I went to an urgent care center. They said it was either folliculitis or celluitis and prescibed clindimycin.I had severe swelling in my leg, Ankle and foot for about two days, went back to the urgent care center as the swelling was going down, and the bright red area stared to look purple/pink with a hard lump in the middle. and they
I soaked my leg in warm water several times a day as recommended, and a tiny bit of pus the size of a facial pimple came out a few times I soaked it. It is now more than 2 weeks, and I have been keeping my leg elevated most of the time. It still has a large hard lump, and with any walking the color turns more and more purple and is a little uncomfortable and gets a bit swollen. I am a 39 year old female. Is this in fact cellulitis? Does it Sound somewhat typical for healing and if so, how long can I expect for the lump to remain? Should I go to the ER? Thank you.

I had one small red dot. Not doting.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
A small folliculitis or cellulitis is likely to subside in two weeks after taking the antibiotics.
Since the swelling is persistent and there is change in the color to purple on walking, blood clot in the leg needs to be ruled out.
A hard lump usually forms at the site of infection after taking antibiotics due to local fibrosis. Such lumps do resolve on their own over 4-6 weeks. But I encourage you to consult a physician for proper investigations to rule out any blood clots as the swelling is persistent in your legs.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Small red dot, urgent care gave clindimycin. Swollen legs, soaked in warm water. Still hard lump exists. Any ideas ? 36 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Tayal-
This helps. Im wondering, what type of dr I should see about possible blood clot?
My father had cellulitis and went to an fectious disease specialist.
However, he has very many health problems and his primary was worried that the infection might get in his blood. He was in fact hospitalized and luckily is fine.

If in fact I do have a blood clot, what is the general course of action to resolve it?
Is it something that a specialist can treat? or does a blood clot in the leg require hospitalization?
(is this something that they might give me a simple blood thinner medication, or do these tend to require any needles, minor surgery etc?

And, is it in fact; true that once you get cellulitis, you have a high propensity to get it agai?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to see a general physician to do basic investigations to find out if there is any clot. If it is due to a clot, most of the times medicines do take care of it. Surgery is the last resort in complicated case. Please do not worry.
Infections are recurrent only if there are some predisposing factors like diabetes or lowered immunity.
You need to get your blood glucose levels monitored too.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Small red dot, urgent care gave clindimycin. Swollen legs, soaked in warm water. Still hard lump exists. Any ideas ? 27 minutes later
Thank you so much! I think I will sleep a bit easier. I will
see my Dr. Have a good night.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
You are most welcome.
We feel that our hard work paid off if any patient feels relieved after the advise.
Hope to have further interactions with you in future.