Small purple mole appeared overnight on breast. No sunbath. Previously used tanning bed.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
A small purplish type mole just appeared (literally) overnight on my right breast. I am 62 years old. Don't really sunbath and used a tanning bed a couple of times eight years ago.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

A small purplish mole that has appeared overnight does provoke anxiety. The majority of moles and other unclassifiable blemishes are benign, or non-cancerous.

Moles that warrant medical attention are those that appear to have changing characteristics, such as changing colors, bleeding, itching, or becoming painful.

You only need to self monitor these lesions for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means they need to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.