Small moveable lump under left collar bone. Having discomfort, pain and mild night sweats. Blood work was normal. Suggest the treatment?

General Surgeon

I have a small moveable lump under my left collar bone. I have also noticed discomfort and mild pain in that area as well as my chest (tightness). Mild night sweats on occasion. Blood work came back normal, and Primary Dr. said to check with a skin dr. I can move the lump from under my collarbone around to the top of it, and when I let go it will slide back under. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged lymph node.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Movable lump under the collar bone is a lymph node. It can be noticeable in case of infection (most common) or due to lymphoma.
Night sweats and chest tightness can be a symptom of an infection as well as lymphoma. However lymphoma usually gives elevated WBC. Removing the lymph node wont solve the issue. But it can give an answer either its inflammation or something else.
That is why I suggest you to have an ultrasound of this area (to confirm its an lymph node) and chest X-ray. Please consult hematologist and consider its biopsy.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Small moveable lump under left collar bone. Having discomfort, pain and mild night sweats. Blood work was normal. Suggest the treatment? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your response.

I was under the impression that a cancerous tumor isn't very mobile. I can move this thing wherever, inches from where it sits. My wbc is normal, but I am super anxious and worried. Any chance it could be a cyst? Or something less harmful? I will go ahead and schedule an x-ray. Also, I don't have a fever, chills, not losing weight, or itching.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
You are right, cancerous lymph node is usually hard, not mobile, painless with rough surface.
From your description it does not seem to be anything malignant. So an X-ray and biopsy is just a precaution. It is quite common that such lymph node causes a fear and discomfort that is why, you should get a biopsy which will confirm an inflammation and rule out cancer.
It is a big chance its just an inflammation. Cyst is less probable.