Small, mobile lumps between collar bones. Size increasing, not sore. Family history of breast cancer. Concerned.

I am female, 37, no existing health issues, mother had breast cancer.
I found a small group of lumps in the hollow at the bottom of my neck, between my collar bones. They are small, not sore and mobile but seem to have gotten bigger over the last month and perhaps more numerous, but maybe I can just feel them better as they get bigger. There are about 3 or 4 I think. I realise they are probably lymph nodes, but as I am well, I am concerned about their presence and persistance.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 48 minutes later

Your concern can appreciated as you have seen a patient of major illness in your family.

Your guess is right, there are all the chances of enlarged nodes in the area. This nodes can be enlarged in any infection in that area, may be lungs, throat or any where in chest.

Increase in size and number is suggesting that there is some active focus.

Chances of breast cancer seems less likely as you do not have anything at present in either of breast.

Please get in touch with your physician and get your examined, he may advise some investigations like blood counts, X- XXXXXXX as per need. A course of antibiotic at times is needed when source of infection is found.

Apart from this, as you had breast cancer in family, please do breast self examination at least once in a month. You can do it in front of mirror first and then do with your finger, feel all the areas of breast one by one. This is a just exercise to keep a watch, please pass this message to your friends and family,you will be doing a social service. After age of 40 you should also go for mammography examination of breast.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.