Small lumps and itchy skin near groin. Used anti fungal cream. What to do now?

Jul 2012

I have small lumps and itchy skin near my groin, i tried some anti-fungal before it subdued and now its shows up again.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Have viewed your photographs & read your description. Is it possible that you have recently shaved this region & is it possible that this has been done 'against the grain' of the genral direction of growth of hair in the area. It does appear to be a 'pseudofolliculitis'.
I would recommend using a combination cream of a steroid (betamethasone)-antifungal(miconazole,ketoconazole) twice/daily over a 1 week period. Add on a systemic antifungal (fluconazole 200mg) taken ONE time (once/week) & XXXXXXX be repeated after a 2 tabs. This regime should help suprress the lesions. Avoid shaving against the grain & perhaps apply this same cream immediately after shaving for 24 hrs followed by a BIODERMA company cream called Sensibio D.S. that is non-steroidal & can be used for long periods of time.
Trust this has answered your query & wish you a clear skin soon! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Small lumps and itchy skin near groin. Used anti fungal cream. What to do now? 40 hours later
Yest I shave once in few months due to sweat, itchy and foul smell sometime. is there any other alternative to shaving to keep that space clean?
Follow-up: Small lumps and itchy skin near groin. Used anti fungal cream. What to do now? 8 minutes later
you also mentioned XXXXXXX whats the full name of it, i can't able to find it.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
At the outset, apologies regards 'amy'. We doctors' are not the most gifted when it comes to handwriting & guess the same extrapolates to typos. XXXXXXX should have read 'may' & the speed at which i type, probably accounted for it!
As for your query as alternatives to shaving, might i suggest going in for 'laser hair removal'. The art has been perfected over 2 decades almost now & but for the expense (that can vary from centre to centre & is probably cheaper in countries like India & the Far-East), it does get rid of 90% of the hair permanently & is what i would recommend. In addition, please get hold of any antifungal soap (2% ketoconazole) & use it in the area..keep it on for 10 mts or so & wash off & this may be done twice/week or alternate days more as a preventive measure & to ward off the 'smell' aspect. Cheers & trust this has answered your query & once again, apologies for sending you on a hunt for 'amy'...if you were single, that may have been an interesting search ;-) just kidding.
If we are good to go, please do close the query & trust my ratings will suffer on account of XXXXXXX :) Do hope the advice comes in handy tho'!