Small lump on neck, non movable, not growing, under the skin, not visible, causes ?

Question
i have a hard pea size lump below my hair line on the right of my neck about 1 inch from the centre of my neck. it does not move and i have had this for about 4 months now. it does seem to be getting bigger now. i origionally thought it was a boil but it has not surfaced and is still underneath the skin and not visable. it is not painful. what could it be?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Hello.

The hard pea sized lump, painless, now growing in size can be due to many causes
1. Enlarged lymph node as a result of any minor scalp infection is most likely.
2. The thing that it does not move suggests that either this lump is attached to the underlying bone- may be an outgrowth of the bone or is deeply adherent to the underlying tissues due to excessive adhesions.
3.Neurofibroma

A physical examination and FNAC would reveal the nature of the lump. Consult a General Surgeon to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Small lump on neck, non movable, not growing, under the skin, not visible, causes ? 2 hours later
it does actually feel like a pilar cyst but as it has no colour and is not risen out of the skin i am actually unsure.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

A cystic swelling is more likely to be firm rather than hard and is least likely to be attached to deeper tissues.
It is more likely to be a lymph node or neurofibroma which can only be diagnosed on FNAC.

Wish you an early recovery.