Small inflamed cyst on groin. Allergic reactions to penecillin, keflex, tetanus vaccine. Is it possible to remove with taking biaxin?

Hi, I have been dealing with a small inflamed cyst in the groin for several weeks. My primary care doctor looked at it and said it was too small to drain. He prescribed Bactrim. I had a slight (maybe) reaction to it. It could very well be my anxiety as I have allergic reactions to penecillin, keflex, tetanus vaccine and have had problems with Cipro, made me feel quite ill and had ringing in the ears. I went back on Tuesday and he said he's not going to prescribe another antibiotic ( I'm off the Bactrim) and if need be I can see a general surgeon and have it removed. It's still painful, and I would like to have it removed. My question is, since it's small, would it be possible to have it removed without having to take antibiotics? Also, I have been okay with Biaxin and would like to know if that drug would be okay to use in this case. Thanks!
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
I feel it is most probably an inflamed lymph node.
You need antibiotics and drainage is necessary if the pus is localized.
A surgical consult is a must as the diagnosis is not yet made.
Biaxin is good enough.
Best regards
Follow-up: Small inflamed cyst on groin. Allergic reactions to penecillin, keflex, tetanus vaccine. Is it possible to remove with taking biaxin? 2 days later
Thank you for your response. I forgot to clarify that my primary care doctor saw this and diagnosed it as a cyst. I got it to drain quite a bit on Friday ( 2 days ago) with warm compresses. It is still a bit sore, but nothing like it was. He said that even after any infection clears up, I will proabably always have the bump.
My question is, should I go ahead and have it removed so it won't become inflamed again and being that this is a cyst and the surgeon deems antibiotics still necessary, will Biaxin be adequate to treat it?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Sorry to write, but you need to see a specialist as groin swellings usually are not simple cysts.
This may a infected lymph node or an infected sebaceous cyst.
I would strongly advice you to see a surgeon, diagnosed and treat appropriately.
BIAXIN is an excellent antibiotic and will suit this condition.