Small hard scales on scalp, not itchy, on top layer of hair, comes out on touching. Treatment ?

Hi. I have some small hard/crunchy things on my hair. It's not in my scalp nor is it itchy/scratchy. It seems to only be on the top layer and of hair. I had noticed it about a week ago, but didn't worry. Went for a hair cut yesterday, stylist didn't notice but I did again after I got home. It comes off easily when I run my finger nail down the hair. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
From the description provided it seems that you have come across dried scaly shed off skin on your hairs. It is seen more commonly in dry scalp. You need to use a good moisturizing shampoo and use a strong conditioner after every hair wash.
Sometimes a fungal infection of the scalp is also the root cause which needs treatment with antifungal agents.
You need to consult your dermatologist for proper examination and further appropriate treatment.
Over the counter available anti fungal lotions can be tried topically for short term relief as recurrence is common after incomplete treatment.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.