Small hard lump on the back of neck, painful, itchy rash spreading from back to front of throat. Causes ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi. I've got a small hard lump on the back of my neck on the right side close to my hairline. It's about the size of a small pea and is painful to the touch. I've only noticed it within the past few hours, but for three or four days I've got an itchy rash that looks very similar to a heat rash spreading through the back of my neck and my ears. It's now spreading to the front of my throat. I don't know if the two are related or not, and if they are, what exactly could be causing it.
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

The two conditions are related.

The hard pea sized tender swelling is most likely an inflammed lymph node.

The cause of the inflammation is the skin rash which most probably is mildly infected. The rash may be infective or may have perhaps be secondarily infected giving rise to an acutely inflammed lymph node.

This symptom is a concerning one. What you will need to do next is visit your physician. You most likely need a course of antibiotic. Over the counter antiinflammatory drugs such as motrin twice a day after food can benefit you till you plan your visit to the doctor.

I hope this answers your doubt. Let me know if you have any other concern.

With Regards