Small golf size lump underneath knee cap after a fall and took ibuprofen. How long do I need to rest before being active?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi, I fell on my left knee while playing football on the grass. Instantly there was a small golf ball size lump underneath my knee cap. I immediately put ice on it and took ibuprofen. The swelling since went down after icing it on and off all day and taking Advil every 4-5 hours. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about any actual damage as I don't have insurance. There is no pain when I bend or put pressure on it. How long do I need to rest for from being active?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

As there is no pain when you bend or put pressure on it , it seems to be soft tissue injury. Small golf ball size lump underneath your knee cap might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) due rupture of microvasculature.
It will take 10-14 days for soft tissue injury to heal properly.
Beside icing and taking advil you need 10- 14 days rest for proper healing.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please close the query if you have no further questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Regards.

Follow-up: Small golf size lump underneath knee cap after a fall and took ibuprofen. How long do I need to rest before being active? 9 hours later
thank you for your response. since my initial inquiry the lump has completely subsided and is just soft to the touch. how do I treat this while at work during the week? will I be able to play football this Saturday as the injury occurred on Saturday?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply crepe bandage over knee

Detailed Answer:

You can apply crepe bandage over knee while at work during the week. Avoid any activity that causes pain. It is too early to play football this Saturday.

I hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Small golf size lump underneath knee cap after a fall and took ibuprofen. How long do I need to rest before being active? 5 hours later
should I use something like salonpas or icyhot on the injury? do I need to keep icing?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to use these products

Detailed Answer:
There is no need to use these products over injury. Do not do any massage over injury. You can continue icing for 1-2 days more to decrease the inflammation completely.