Small child suffering from pain in left toe. Using volini provides relief. Family history of gout and arthritis. Causes for pain?

My son is aged 7 yrs 9 months. He has been complaining of pain in two fingers of his left toe. This is not a consistent pain, neither it is due to injury. He would be holding his two fingers of his left toe and shout it's paining and after massaging with volini etc he would get relieved after say half an hour or so. My mother and grandmother has been suffering from pain due to artharitis/gout (Not sure which is the right one). My sister has also been suffering from similar disease. I want to know what kind of treatment and which doctor would be appropriate for him. He is also myopic and has very high power in his eyes (- 7 dp)
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does the pain increase during the night?
2.) Does he have fever?
3.) Does he have difficulty in walking?
4.) Is there a swelling of the toes?

Your History suggests your child may be having the following probabilities:

1. Gout
2. Paronychia which is the infection of nail bed or ingrown toe nail syndrome. All these conditions have to be confirmed. Kindly get him examined by a Orthopedician so that he may examine him and suggest few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Serum Uric Acid levels.
4.) Toe X-ray.

Once the cause is confirmed, he will be treated accordingly with Analgesics, Antibiotics (If necessary).

Follow these lifestyle modifications at home along with the treatment,

1.) If he has a toe swelling, keep the toes elevated even otherwise also.
2.) Apply heat pads or cold packs for 20 minutes at a time which will reduce the pain.
3.) He should get adequate rest.
4.) See to it that he sticks to his treatment plan and take him for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.

Wish him Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Small child suffering from pain in left toe. Using volini provides relief. Family history of gout and arthritis. Causes for pain? 1 hour later
Dear Doc,

Here are the answers to your queries.

1/ It's not a regular phenomenon. It happens approx once in 15 days to 30 days. Some months he does not even talk of. From his expressions what I could figure out is that the pain is XXXXXXX in nature. Most of the time he has informed about his pain in the night only.

2/ No he does not have fever during the pain. Otherwise he is a very healthy child with lots of energy

3/ No he does not have any difficulty in walking.

4/ There are no swelling also in the toes. But yes he feels better with application of volini and a hot compress
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 49 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Since you said that the pain aggravates in Nights, subsides with Volini and Hot compresses, it suggests he has a inflammation which is not showing up outside and it could be confirmed by a toe X XXXXXXX

As I said earlier, get him examined by a Orthopedician, so that necessary tests could be done, cause ruled out and treated accordingly.

Follow the measures which I had advised in previous post.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.