Small bumps on chin and nose causing severe bleeding, scars and spreading. Any ideas?

Question
I have a series of small bumps that look like pimples that have broken out on my chin and nose area - if they are scratched during washing, they bleed excessively and form scars. they seem to be spreading (i get more every day) Any idea what this might be?
They also seem to be more like blisters where if they are scratched they exude a clear fluid and then bleed.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 8 hours later
Hello Madam,
Thanks for the inquiry,
I saw the image and went through the problem you have. You are allergic to spinach, nuts and pineapple.
You had acne in the past. You had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for which you are taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin. You have missed those tabs for 2 or 3 days.
Both the drugs are antidepressants. Are you not getting treatment for hypothyroidism. If not, then why? After viewing the image, it looks like Acne only. Acne produces scaly red skins. It is due the affection of sebaceous follicles. There may be inflammation or may not have inflammation.
Causes are: genetic and associated with hormonal changes (occurs during puberty and menstruation). Sometimes due to Androgen stimulation
Treatment:
Once Acne is diagnosed, avoid taking diet containing high glycemic content, chocolates and milk.
Your thyroid hormone level should be maintained in the normal level. If you have a problem in ovarian hormone levels it has to be corrected.
Other treatments are: Benzoyl peroxide, antiseborrheic medications, anti-androgen medications, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, nicotinamide, and keratolytic soaps.
A proper consultation with a dermatologist and endocrinologist and following their treatment will heal you
Best wishes for you,
Dr. S. Jegadeesan

Follow-up: Small bumps on chin and nose causing severe bleeding, scars and spreading. Any ideas? 15 hours later
I forgot to mention I'm taking synthroid for the thyroid problem. this flared up all of a sudden and i've not experienced any acne that goes from a small bump to a bleeding sore immediately - if they are scratched during washing for example they bleed profusely as if a razor/shaving cut. they are not acting like typical acne pimples.

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 6 hours later
Thanks for your follow up question

You have mentioned pimples like small bumps over your chin and nose area – they exude a clear fluid bleed excessively on scratch and form ‘scars’. They seem to spread / getting more and more / recur.

In your medical history it is mentioned as you had acne earlier.
In detailing further you say that you have not experienced (earlier) any acne that goes from a small bump to a bleeding sore immediately.
Whereas currently the bump you have, if they are scratched during washing for example they bleed profusely as if a razor/shaving cut. They are not behaving like typical acne pimples.

Acne is the result of block in the hair follicle, and sebum gets accumulated in the sebaceous gland.

The features of acne are due to the inflammation within the dermis which starts with increased oil / sebum secretions leading to bump like swelling, which may have black, white or pinheads. Then they are called in so many names as papules (large papules are called as nodules), pustules (otherwise called as pimples).

Papules, pustules or nodules when gets infected followed by inflammation in the skin leads to redness, and a process called keratinisation leads to scab formations which bleed profusely on scratching.

It has connection with hormonal changes like puberty, adolescence (both sex) and menopause due to increased testosterone. Increased androgen may also be the reason for some individual

Acne need not be always simple pimples Acne can go to scab formation, bleeding and scar formation, as per the degree of infection and inflammatory process with underlying hormone changes.
Finally acne can present in so many forms and I suspected Acne because of ‘Scar’ forming nature.

I conclude that to my knowledge Acne is the only Scar forming skin lesion occurring over the face.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery
Dr. S. Jegadeesan