Small bumps in vagina near cervix. Danger sign?

I have two small, smooth bumps high up in my vagina. They are quite close to my cervix. I have no other bumps or abnormalities anywhere else in my genial region
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 48 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It would be a much better explanation that this is your cervix rather than assuming it is something elses. Is there a reason that you do NOT think that this is just irregularities on the surface of the cervix?

1. Any abnormal discharge or bleeding?
2. Any pain with intercourse?
3. Any other symptoms?

Thank you!

Follow-up: Small bumps in vagina near cervix. Danger sign? 17 hours later
They are two bumps maybe 1/3 - 1/2 the diameter of a pencil. They are about 1/2 inch below my cervix, on the vaginal wall. I am 29 years old and have not felt anything like this before.

There is not pain or discomfort from these bumps at any time, I have no abnormal discharge, there has been no bleeding, and I have no other symptoms.

I could be wrong, but these bumps seem to be more pronounced during arousal.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the followup!

The fact that these bumps are non-tender suggest that they are benign and NOT an STD, such as herpes or genital warts. This is an unusual location for things like genital warts as well as for a herpes lesion. The vaginal wall has extra skin folds and glands. During intercourse and with arousal, there is a definite change in the anatomy of the vagina and increased blood flow. It is not suprising that whatever these are that they might feel different with these normal physiologic changes.

Most likely these represent glands that are "clogged" at the surface. Given that they have persisted and are easy to find, the best thing to do is to schedule a visit with an OB/GYN to have them checked out. But given their size and location, the level of concern regarding precancerous changes or STD's is very low.

I hope that this helps and good luck! Please leave feedback!