Small bump on vagina, itchy, blood and pus, now forming in clusters, not itchy. Treatment ?

i am a 34 year old female and have been in the same relationship for 12 years. 2 weeks ago i notice i had a small bump on the right "lip" inside. it felt like a zit under the skin and was itchy. A couple days later i was able to pop it-alot of blood and puss came out and it seemed to diminish. now i have similar little bumps in the same place (like a cluster of 4 or 5 all under the skin) and 2 on the other side. They are not itchy. I am on synthroid and cytomel for hypothyroid. what is it and what do i do?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 58 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

There are a couple of possibilities here which could be going on. The first thought is that this could be a superficial bacterial infection. Bacteria get under the mucosa sometimes and can cause this. It can be painful and itchy as well. This generally resolves with some warm soaks in the bathtub and sometimes a topical antibiotic ointment.

Second consideration is that this could be herpes type 2. I know you are in a monogamous relationship but this virus could have been present dating back even years before causing symptoms.

It is difficult to diagnose in the absence of an examination. If you could perhaps send a clear photo of the affected area I could review it to help determine exactly what we are dealing with. You can send this to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

Thanks again for your query as I look forward to helping provide good recommendations for you. I will await your followup.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Small bump on vagina, itchy, blood and pus, now forming in clusters, not itchy. Treatment ? 55 minutes later
okay, so i was not able to get a clear picture, the lumps are smooth and the skin overall is the same color (perhaps a little red and irritated from me picking at it and it feels like there is something underneath the surface, they are like the original one that popped and that one popped pretty quickly with lots of blood and white oily stuff, these aren't growing yet). it's not itchy but the original one felt like a yeast infection, so i got the over the counter treatment, used it and on the last day i was able to pop it. (There is a question in here somewhere-sorry) I noticed the first one right after i finished my mentrual cycle...

I was tested for STD's last year and it was clear. Should try clear them using an antibiotic cream? how come they are multiplying? are they contagious to my husband and at what point should i go see a gyn? Can a person get this type of thing from a toilet seat (i am generally extremely careful but i travel alot...)?
thanks so much for your thoughts, I appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later

Thanks for the followup.

I would recommend you to continue the antibiotic cream three times daily. If it is a bacterial infection it will multiply sometimes because the bacteria spreads in the vicinity of the infection until the immune system clears it.

In your STD screen did they screen you for antibody to herpes virus #2? What you have is not typical of a yeast infection really. Those tend to be associated with more itching and some discharge as well.

This kind of thing is generally not something picked up from a toilet seat. That would be extremely rare. I would suggest you to start on antiviral medicines like Valacyclovir after discussing with your doctor for 7 days or as advised by your doctor. If the lesions respond and clear then that points us in the direction of this being an outbreak of a viral phenomenon. We have to assume for time being that it may be contagious so I would refrain from sex for a few days until this is under control.

Please see a gynecologist. The gynecologist can take a culture swab from the area and send it for definitive testing.

I hope this additional information was again helpful. I am available if you have more followups as well.

Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: Small bump on vagina, itchy, blood and pus, now forming in clusters, not itchy. Treatment ? 2 days later
I appreciate your help. After using witch XXXXXXX compresses and neosporin they are diminishing and one has begun to drain (blood and puss) but i am going to make an appointment to get in this week.
Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
My pleasure.

I wish you all the best and continued good health.

Let us know if we can be of any help to you in the future.

Dr. Galamaga.