Small bump below knee, on the inside, chronic condition, swelling, paining, treatment ?

I have a small bump on my leg just below the knee and toward the inside. It's been there for a couple of years and has never gotten bigger. Occasionally it seems to swell and hurt especially if I kneel on it or bump it.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 18 minutes later
Hi Mbgiblin,

Thanks for posting query.

From the description of lump it seems that it not causing any difficulty to you in routine.

Normally there are cushion like thing which is known as "Bursa" in the knee joint. They work as shock absorbers. At places like where there is frequent friction or injury like knee, they got swollen and visible.

They can stay there without any problem.When ever there is pressure on them or some injury to them they give rise to pain. This is the first likely possibility.

You can very well ignore it. When it give rise to pain, you can take some analgesics and you will be fine.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Small bump below knee, on the inside, chronic condition, swelling, paining, treatment ? 3 hours later
It's not really in the joint area. It's below the knee, in the front, but slightly toward the inside. The bump is always there and it slightly tender when I press on it. Sometimes it seems to swell and become painful for no reason, but will definitely swell and be painful when I kneel on it or bang it. I first noticed it while pregnant. Generally, it doesn't cause me and inconveniences and is more of nuisance.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

Good to see you back.
I can understand your point.The most common possibility again seems to bursa only.They are not exactly inside the joint.

The less common possibility is simple cyst or bunch of fat cells which again can present like this.

In either of case you need to bother only in following situation,

1.It grows in size
2.Hampers your day to day work
3.Makes seating or squatting painful experience
4.It becomes red and very painful to touch.

Otherwise you can simply ignore this.In case of any of the above development you may need examination by your doctor.

I hope this takes care of query.