Small black pin dots in the vaginal area. No pain, no swelling. Should I be concerned?

Ok, I am a 57 year old woman...and after my shower tonight as I was powdering my vaginal area...I noticed something like a sprinkle of black pin dots on my labia swelling...just speratic "dots' pinpoint size....about 6 or 7 on each side....kinda weird?? But unsettling...
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later

Small black pin dots on the labia are most likely pigmentation marks due to over activity of melanocytes in the region.

It is not a concerning problem and doesn't warrant immediate attention although you have to keep a watch on it every day. Report to your doctor if you find secondary changes such as increase in the size of hyperpigmentation, change in the color / texture of the skin, itching, redness, swelling, ulcerations, etc. occur.

If they are too bothersome then these can be removed for cosmetic purposes.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.