Small and narrow stool, constipation, abdominal pain, taking Senna. What do you recommend?

Hi, for the past 4-5 days now I have not been able to go to the toilet and poop properly. The last proper bowel movement I had was on Tuesday 13th March. Since then I've went to the toilet but my stool has been small in size and sometimes narrow. I took 15mg of a senna laxative about 10 hours ago but still nothing has worked. I also have been experience random lower abdomen pain, it stays for a while then goes. What do you recommend I do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 46 minutes later

Hello and thanks for query,

Your history of symptoms suggest that you are passing small quatity of hard fecal matter which suggests that
- You may be taking less food
- You may be taking less fiber and may be more non vegetarian food.
- You are not doing exercises and may be sitting a lot.
- You may be having less of water.
- You may be taking more of alcohol, coffee, tea, etc., which may be causing dehydration.
- You may be taking some pain killers containing codeine.

Slight pain abdomen may be due to constipation. The following might help you.

1. Take plenty of water
2. Do some exercises.
3. Take fiber in the form of isabgol husk 15 gms with 250 ml of water twice daily
4. Avoid alcohol / coffee, etc.
5. Take fresh fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables in plenty.

You should be alright in next 2 days.
If you don't get stool in next 2 days then get an enema as longer the stool stays inside drier it becomes.

Make it a regular habit to do regular exercises and taking plenty of water, XXXXXXX vegetables and fresh fruits.

I hope to have answered your query; however you can revert to me for any further query.

Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Small and narrow stool, constipation, abdominal pain, taking Senna. What do you recommend? 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor. May I just ask is there a possibility of a bowel obstruction or is the fact I am passing small hard stools every 1-2 days ruling the chance of this out? I've ordered an enema and will follow your advice but providing that does not work I'll seek medical help. I seem to be feeling a small pain in my left lower abdomen, is there a chance of an obstruction occurring there? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later

You don't have any obstruction as you are passing small hard fecal material.
Enema will definitely work and incase it doesn't provide relief then you must consult your doctor for further management and treatment.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have