Small Dark bruise on both cheeks, no pain. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I woke up this morning with small, (about the size of a dime) dark bruise looking marks on my face (cheek area), no pain, just dark. on both sides, the right side bigger than the left. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 37 minutes later
Hello ,

Sudden appearance of bruise spontaneously without trauma may be due to thrombovascular embolism or a side effects of anticoagulant effect of Lotensin and probably aggravated by anti platelet effect of Aspirin.

In your case, it might be a side effect of Lotensin, an anti hypertensive drug which is known to interfere with normal clotting mechanism in body, therefore causing easy tendency for bleeding.

The bruise result from bleeding from minor blood vessels under the skin and soft tissues.

Please consult your treating physician and get yourself investigated by blood tests like coagulation profile and blood platelet counts etc.

If you develop any new symptom like spread of bruising to other parts of body, vision disturbances, tingling numbness or weakness of any limb, then you should seek an emergency room consultation Otherwise an early appointment is fine.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.