Slow spreading rash on left palm, top layer of skin started flaking starting at the center. Do I need treatment ?

I have a slow spreading rash on my left palm. It started out about the size of an eraser head and has slowly grown to about the size of a quarter over 2 weeks. It has not spread to any other parts of my body. The rash is not itchy or painful but seems drier and scalier than the skin around it. The initial rash seemed to have about 4 very small brownish or dark red dots at the center that have since gone away (may or may not be related to rash), and there were certain stages of the rash in which there appeared to be small bubbles under the surface of my skin. It sort of looks like a blister, but there is no ooze or pus, and I feel literally nothing at all when I touch it. The top layer of skin started flaking away starting at the center after about a week, but it has slowed down now. Do I need to seek medicine?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and for uploading the picture. I have taken a clear look at it. It does not seem to be a major skin condition of concern.

Exfoliation of skin on palms is common during the change of season or in excessive dryness. Excessive use of soaps can also cause such peeling.

Skin on palms is different from the rest of the body and exfoliates like that.

Small blebs without any discharge falling of the skin without any pain or itching requires no medication.

A simple moisturizing cream can be applied to take care of the condition.

Please feel free to write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr.Rohit Batra