Slow growth rate,slow weight gain,no eating disorder,normal hormone levels

Endocrinologist
Question
My daughter is 16 and very small for her age. She does not yet have her period. We have been to specialists for gastroenterology, and are working on weight gain with an adolescent medicine doctor - though she has not been diagnosed with an eating disorder. Her bone age was just measured as 14 1/2. About three years ago she saw an endocrinologist, and had blood work done which showed that her hormone levels were fine. We didn't pursue this further.
Probably unrelated, but my niece who seems to have a similar growth pattern was given a more rigorous test for human growth hormone after her initial screen was fine. The test found that she was not producing enough human growth hormone as a result of certain stimuli. A sonogram showed that her pituitary gland is misshapen.
Would it be worthwhile for my daughter to revisit an endocrinologist at this point?

Thank you!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 10 hours later

I do understand from your details that your child is suffering from short stature with delayed puberty.

The common hormonal problems could be due to either Multiple or isolated pituitary hormone deficiency or due to Turners syndrome and so on.

She would require a detailed testing of the growth hormone, Thyroid and other pubertal hormones along with imaging of pituitary gland and a karyotype if required.

If it is diagnosed to be any of the above disease, she would definitely be benefited with treatment.

Earlier you treat ,better are the results and if your bones are fused, nothing much can be done for the height.

It is definitely worthwhile to revisit an endocrinologist and discuss with them.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow-up queries.